I was reading these verses a couple of weeks ago, and was greatly encouraged by them. I thought you might be as well.
“Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:4-7
My take away:
- take joy in God
- live balanced, in private and before others
- do not be concerned or worried – for any reason!
- being thankful, bring your needs and wants to God
Result: God’s amazing peace (too great for me to understand! that I may claim because of Jesus Christ’s work on the cross) will preserve my heart AND my mind.
In my Bible study, I enjoy referencing passages in the Amplified translation of Scripture. Here is how this passage is translated (bullet points and emphasis mine).
- Rejoice in the Lord always [delight, gladden yourselves in Him]; again I say, Rejoice! [Ps. 37:4.]
- Let all men know and perceive and recognize your unselfishness (your considerateness, your forbearing spirit).
- The Lord is near [He is coming soon].
- Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.
- And God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Praying you are encouraged today my friend.
May God’s peace garrison your heart and mind!